First off, I'm writing this in google's updated Blogger platform and it's weird. It's weird. I feel like my computer has turned into a spaceship. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to blogger.com and click our blog name and write an update!
So anyway, it's week 5. the first round of midterms. I didn't have any, because my program is a joke. Instead of studying and tests this week, I had no hot and/or clean water at my apartment. They replaced the hot water heater in a really bad way, such that all water turned brown and muddy and the hot water was freezing cold- strange, considering the coldest tap water normally gets is lukewarm.
My program is still a joke, but I'm making the best of it. I'm writing a thesis on greywater- that used water from your shower, washing machine, sink, etc that should be reused to reduce net consumption. It's cool because literally every week there are new developments on it; I'm writing my thesis as the world is discovering my topic.
I also started leading YoungLife down here. I led a little back in high school and tried at Vandy- but it didn't work out. So it's great to be back in the swing of things. I'm leading College Life at USC, so much to your chagrin, I'm still hanging out with sophomores and freshman. Sorry I'm not sorry. Because this time it's actually to hang out with a purpose. Also, Joel from the Soup (if you want E!... I don't) is on YL committee in Hollywood apparently. So that's rad. I know OneRepublic also has YL connections out here. But as of right now, I'm just hanging out with USC kids, who are a talent pool of their own right.
My roommate's name is Neil, but he is a grad student fresh from China and has a really thick accent. I thought his name was Neo for the first four weeks we lived together. Whoops. I daily get to teach him about our culture and country. Today I taught him all about camps, and what cabins are, and what exactly one does at YoungLife camp. Previous conversations range from what parts of the chicken we eat ("I like the legs and wings, because they move more than the other parts... the meat is more tender") to why USC calls themselves the Trojans to what a bowl game is.
10 more weeks left in the semester for me. Shoot, it can't come soon enough. I'm growing weary of the LA smog and busy-ness, of concrete and poverty. Luckily, I'm going on a YL Leadership Retreat this weekend in Ramona, CA- to a camp called Oakbridge. It's mainly for middle schoolers- and the last time I was there was in 8th grade. So that should be fun, sleeping in the same cabin as 8th grade Chase. I should bring some pokemon cards just for old times sake.
Unfortunately I don't think I'll be coming to Nashville this semester, which rips me up but it's all in the name of saving money so I can get a job and an apartment in this next chapter of life.
And speaking of chapters, I have this tendency to start a new blog at each chapter. My current one is called Set and Drift, and can be found at lifebreatheverything.tumblr.com The name comes from Acts 17:24-25
The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.I hope yall are doing well. I miss you, and if you're ever in LA hit me up.
May you rest today in the God who gives us life, breath, and everything else,
chase b
No comments:
Post a Comment