Friday, May 20, 2011

Guess who doesn't have a job?!

That would be me, Mallory.

"But wait!' they said, "Aren't you teaching first grade in Chicago? Don't you have another year in your commitment to Teach for America?"

And they would be right.

But, life happens. Teaching nearly killed me. My mental and emotional health got so bad that I literally spent a Friday night a few months ago sobbing and looking at the criteria for checking into a formal psych program. That's kind of scary to admit, but even scarier to think that I really felt that out of control in terms of my mental state.

So, after lots of months of crying and talking and praying and dreading and getting hit with chairs and being called a bitch... by 6 year olds... I have decided not to come back for the second year. As of last Tuesday, my principal decided it would just be better for me to leave now.

And that, folks, is why today was my last day. And I am relieved and thrilled and feeling fine.

Now don't go getting all worried. Those of you who saw me in Nashville last month can vouch (I hope!) that I am doing perfectly fine since deciding that teaching isn't for me and that I don't feel bad about it. It has been a crazy year but I am feeling optimistic, excited, hopeful, and joyful about the coming summer, getting married, finding a new job that is better suited for my needs and trying again at this whole "being an adult" thing.

I know it's been rough for a lot of us, but I am so thankful that we have both our support network in each other and our shared faith in the Lord who has preserved us and refined us during this first-year post college.

You guys are the best, and I cannot wait to update next about where my life/career is headed (...TDB as of yet), provided that the rapture does not, in fact, happen tomorrow. And if it does, I'll just see y'all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment