So I recently found this quote in a book I was reading (Wild at Heart... thank you, Chase Blood):
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is more people who have come alive." - Gil Bailie
I've been in Houston about a month now working. My job consists of mentoring undergrads and also designing and developing medical equipment for the developing world. To say I love my job is an understatement. It feels kinda weird to enjoy it this much and to not dread going into work or having to stay late. And it makes me constantly joyful - because the only thing I've got here to support me is my faith in God and the trust that comes in knowing I'm exactly where he wants me to be.
And I haven't found community yet, but its coming. I've got great coworkers (even though I'm the one guy out of six people total in our organization...), I'm playing on an adult soccer team, play pickup basketball with some guys from church weekly, and I'm set to be a part of a men's small group starting this week. I even was part of our church's coed sand volleyball tournament last week with Dane Thorwaldson and his wife Julie... we got second place in a heartbreaking loss...
Back to the quote... The pastor at the church I go to preached tonight on faith and works and living. In the translation he uses, James 2:26 goes like this: "Removing action from faith is like removing breath from the body. All you have left is a corpse." Faith is alive. It moves, it grows, it's radical, and its our driving force. It prompts us to action. And that action is love and service. And that is what makes us alive. True faith is the source of joy.
I'm praying yall are doing well. I was hoping to see most of you at homecoming, but I had to cancel my flights for a work trip... to Guatemala. I figured it was a good enough reason. Miss you all a ton though...
Garrett
p.s. I thought I'd add a couple pictures to update you a little more on life:

the bookshelf in our living room - complete with light saber, samurai sword, anime films and star wars legos.
.jpg)
Now, just the other day I was sitting in the living room watching TV and the bookshelf fell over, almost on top of me. When I called my roommate to tell him, his first question wasn't "are you okay?", it was, "Are the legos broken?" Glad I'm lower on the food chain than his precious legos... and the other roommate was really disappointed the table was broken for a different reason - it means they'll have to find another place to play their weekly game of dungeons and dragons until the table is replaced.
And just in case you were feeling bad about your cleanliness, never fear, one of my roommates is much dirtier than thou:
.jpg)
Yes, he finds a way to sleep there. And yes, he's the one I share a bathroom with. Good thing his cleaning motto is 'if it bothers you, clean it'. Needless to say, nothing bothers him.
To the guys in my suite last year: I appreciate you a whole lot more after just four weeks living here.
No comments:
Post a Comment