Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Love in the Big Apple

Hi Friends! As I sit on the couch, cuddled up next to my husband (it's been 8 months and I still get giggly saying that...haha, is that normal!?) in our NYC apartment, watching our Dores play basketball on the TV, I was inspired to send a little shout out to all of you wonderful Vandy friends. I have been so blessed to read everyone's updates and being the slacker I am, I have YET to make a post. Now seemed like as good of time as any :) Better late than never...right?

Where to even begin? It feels hard to believe that this time last year we were all coasting in our second semester senior year and I was getting pumped to go on Spring Break to Florida with KP, Liz, Marge, Mary Lou, and Allie. In the past 9 months, I have had my world completely rocked with a whole host of changes (all GREAT changes, but changes nonetheless). I have a new last name, a husband :), a new hometown, a new job, a new church, new friends (God has been unbelievably faithful in helping us find a sweet community of friends up here), and all the new responsibilities, challenges, and joys that come with all of those new things! It has been such a huge blessing to be starting on all these new adventures with such a wonderful man! Jonathan and I are learning how to grow up together and it has been a fun and wild ride so far...one full of lots of mistakes (oopsies... we might have started a small fire day 2 in the apartment), lots of laughter (hahaha, Jonathan certainly knows how to make me smile), lots of adventures (there are SO many fun new things to do and see here in NYC), lots of growing pains (Learning how to grow up and be adults), and lots of dreaming (laying on the floor of our apartment looking up at the ceiling and learning how to look for the stars and count our blessings...especially at the end of a few of those tougher days). There have certainly been highs and lows as we adjust to this new life God has placed us in up here, but it's neat to read in each of your story the same message I'm experiencing here (that life changes, people change, locations change, jobs change, dreams change, etc. but God doesn't...no matter what and that at the root of it all, loving Him and loving others is our primary purpose here)

We have gotten really plugged into Apostles Church and have a joined a small group (primarily of young marrieds) that meets on Thursday nights in the Upper East Side. Through Church we are starting to develop some really strong relationships with both other married couples and other recent grads who moved to the city for work! The more friends we make, the deeper and deeper we feel our community is growing here, the more and more NYC starts to feel like home. :) And as it turns out, our 2 year plan in NYC is starting to look more and more like a 5+ year plan and we are really starting to put down some roots here. Haha- who would have ever guessed it? Me- a New Yorker?! Haha, I sure wouldn't have, but I'm started to kinda love the idea!!

It's been a blast getting to experience each new "season" here in NYC. Fall was beautiful- We even took a little weekend getaway up to Connecticut to see the leaves and visit an apple orchard. Christmas time in the city was nothing short of magical and we had a blast having my parents, brother and sister in law up here for New Year's! The cold winter has been fun, but I'm certainly ready to shed my winter coat and am excited to see what Spring is like (especially Central Park...it's going to be BEAUTIFUL!)

And..did I mention, we LOVE having visitors!? And we do have a very comfy blow up mattress and couch that is perfect for anyone passing through the city! :) Please give us a call if you are ever up here because we would love to see you...even if it's only for a quick hug.

Thanks to everyone who has been posting! I have this saved as a bookmark and click on it a couple times a week and am always so encouraged and excited to hear what everyone is up to. Jonathan and I's world up here can seem so far away and so different than where we were just a year ago. Reading this blog helps me feel not so far away from everyone that I knew and loved so much in Nashville :) The big guy upstairs certainly has quite the imagination and creativity... how cool to think what beautiful stories He is writing with each one of us. :)

Hugs from the big apple,
Maggs





No comments:

Post a Comment