Wednesday, November 17, 2010

LONG overdue

At my bible study tonight we gathered up in groups so that we could share what was going on in our lives and pray intentionally for each other. As I sat huddled with two other fantastic girls that I have met here, I realized that, amidst this community in Memphis I have come to love and lean upon, I have simultaneously turned my back on the Vanderbilt community that I cannot picture my life without.

There is rare a day that goes by that I do not think of something from Vandy: just today I was talking about all of the many trips my dad's suburban has taken and all of the memories I have from behind the wheel of the Burb. I usually end up blabbing to some classmate of mine while they smile and nod and humor me and probably tune me out at times. I am SO quick to tell them stories about each one of you and yet, I have failed miserably at telling y'all what is going on in my life. I value y'alls impact on my life so much more than I or you could fully understand and I hope that you can forgive me for spacing out for the past... oh... 6 months or so!

I am going to piggyback off of Brett and attempt to give you a quick synopsis/little tidbits (in no particular order) of my life during this absence! I would love to hear from any of you on the phone or letter or text!
  • Working at camp again this summer as Aquatics Director was one of the most fun and rewarding times I have ever had at once. The combination of camp, kids, water, community and constant-Jesus-lovin' just enriched my soul and prepared me as I took a terrifying step into responsibility/adult life/grad-school/Memphis
  • The community that I have found amidst my Physical Therapy class has been more than encouraging. I am developing solid and beneficial relationships which I know will turn into life-long friendships. Plus, the Christian community is so on fire and I am constantly affirmed and challenged in my faith.
  • I have come to realize that Vanderbilt has more-than-adequately prepared me for the work to come in grad school. My hardest week here has been completely manageable and I contribute that to my Vandy degree.
  • Paying bills sucks. I have never been so conscious of how I use electricity and water until now. Hence why I wake up every morning freezing because we have yet to turn on the heat.
  • Two weekends ago I led an adult backpacking trip (two married couples were our campers... oldest: 66, youngest:33) and was able to literally fall asleep under the stars, spend hours by a campfire and experience God's creation so intimately that it rocked my city-lights-and-busy-streets world
  • Physical Therapy is definitely what I want to do with my life. Thanks, I needed that affirmation.
  • Watching my best friend, Ashley, get married at the end of October was a beautiful glorification of the relationships God gives us. It makes me so excited to see where each and every one of us end up - whether single or married - and how He can be glorified through it all!
  • I have found a church here, Fellowship Memphis, that I absolutely LOVE. It challenges me in ways that I never was before on Sunday mornings and I am extremely excited about getting more involved in the church community.
  • The Needtobreathe concert last night at Minglewood Hall was PHENOMENAL! I was able to sit up in the VIP box and get the star treatment thanks to my old youth minister who is now in the music biz...
I am sure there is a whole bunch more that I could update you on, but will take this one step at a time. I hope everyone else updates soon too! If I am posting after 6+ months... so can you!

LOVE LOVE LOVE!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment