Friday, November 26, 2010

Updates from Kenya!

Happy Day After Thanksgiving, Everyone!

I've been doing a bunch of posts on my blog about what I'm thankful for, so if you want more details go here.  But otherwise, I wanted you all to know how much I miss all of you!  Nick and I decided to come home for Christmas (HURRAY!!), so we're leaving on December 15 and we'll be home for three whole weeks!  So if you're in the Charlotte- Cleveland- Vail area, let us know!

Life since I last updated has been quite hectic.  Nick and I got ENGAGED (on Oct 2, then facebook exploded so this is for you who live under a rock and only read this blog) full story here.  Being engaged has been WONDERFUL- I didn't think it would be so very different from dating, but it is.  Nick and I now have our whole lives to plan and be together, which is the biggest blessing of my life.  We're getting married July 23 in Nashville, hurray!  So there's been a flurry of planning, phone calls, skyping, and internet research.

Then at the end of October Nick and I were IN a Kenyan wedding- as in bridesmaid/groomsman.  Yikes.  Most Kenyan thing I've done here.  And I was in a floor length hot pink sparkly gown.  Double yikes.  But we survived, barely.  Unfortunately that same weekend, my house was broken into and they stole my laptop among other things.  Struggle.  And then that week Nick and I got food poisoning from the wedding.  More struggle.  Then the meds that the hospital gave me made my face get really really swollen.  For four days.  Scary struggle.

Again, we survived.  My volunteers and I moved onto the compound where my office is, and we have awesome security now.  I also got a new MacBook, which is wonderful!  And then we had a huge thanksgiving feast last night at a friend's house in Nairobi.  5 Americans, 5 South Africans, and 1 New Zealander (who I've been teaching to say y'all).  Nick was very energetic in teaching everyone how to properly eat Thanksgiving dinner and convinced my boss to eat the whole turkey leg while holding it with his hands (big step for him to abandon the knife and fork).  There were SIX pies.  It was magical.

So now I'm looking forward to being in America for a little while!  Although before we leave, Nick and I are planning another quick safari to Lake Nakuru National Park.  It has a huge population of rhinos and leopards, so hopefully I'll see my first leopard!  They are very evasive creatures...

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and got to spend time with family and friends!  Missing you from Kenya!

No comments:

Post a Comment