Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Quick Update

I'll help you out Brett:

Here's a quick update on whats going on in Houston for me:

-My job is awesome. I'm lucky to be getting to do stuff I love and impacting crazy amounts of people in the process. -I got to go to Guatemala and help with a study through work. I helped do 950 cervical cancer exams in 4 days. Weird? yes. Really cool? yes.
-My main project at work that I'm in charge of is now partnering with the Ministry of Health in Swaziland to try and prevent HIV transmission from mother to child during birth for 12,000 moms... and now Mozambique and Botswana are interested in it too. More work trips? I hope so...
-I've found an incredible community of people in Houston thats shown me that what we had at Vandy doesnt have to end there. There are awesome people who love God all over the world.
--My roommates are still weird. It's great. They had a role playing party on halloween, the night I got home from Guatemala. Think murder mystery but everyone is wayyy too into it. I've decided I'm going to play dungeons and dragons with them one week soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
-Really, really encouraging story (short version): My grandma's doctors found melanoma in her leg 3 weeks ago but couldnt get her an appointment to do a PET scan until this last week. They figured since they found the cancer in her leg's lymph node it was probably all over her body already and they were talking to her about all sorts of crazy experimental treatments. There was an army of people praying for her... Vandy friends, church back home, friends in Houston, Portland... When they finally did the PET scan they didnt find a single trace of cancer. anywhere. The doctors couldnt explain it. I'm usually pretty skeptical about these kinds of things... but I'm learning I shouldn't be. God still performs miracles. Every day. Everywhere. Be on the lookout cause they're all around you.
-I'm home in LA and its 45 degrees. What the heck.

That's all I can think of now...

Happy thanksgiving!

Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment