Yes, this is to echo Courtney's post. I am also chugging along at TFA institute, although mine is in Chicago and I am not surrounded by any other Vandy friends, which is sad.
Being at institute is like nothing else I have ever experienced. You wake up before 6am, go teach some kids who don't want to be there, exhaust yourself from breaking up fights and cleaning up crayons that some kid dumped on the floor in anger or the water that a girl spit out at someone else, try not to cry, and then spend the next unknown number of hours trying to make yourself a better teacher until you crash into your bed at an unreasonably late time and do it all again. Over, and over, and over.
And I'm teaching PRESCHOOL.
And teaching preschool is so. freaking. hard.
My charge to you all: spend the next 24 hours thinking about every action that you are taking, and the fact that someone invested endless hours teaching you how to perform those actions. Everything from spreading cream cheese on your bagel to pulling up your pants to being able to articulate feelings in words instead of inappropriate actions. EVERYTHING. And then thank your parents, and thank a teacher, for giving you the skills and investing the time to make you a competent human being.
No comments:
Post a Comment