Many times throughout this summer, I have had people ask me what I was “doing” with the break. Most times I stammered for a few seconds before coming up with a brilliant “nothing”. And they would politely smile, see me for the slacker I am, and reply with something like “oh. That sounds fun.” Yeah. I have loved reading all of your updates, but I just felt like I should wait until I was doing “something” to contribute. Then the other day I noticed that I have put approximately 5,000 miles on my car(affectionately named the Big Chicken. See Lucas for explanation) this summer and realized that I have indeed been staying moving.
Thinking back on my activities, I have realized what a blessing this summer has been. I have had an opportunity to transition to a new phase in life slowly. I have been available to spend time with several of my friends from home before they left for their new jobs, grad schools, or their new lives as newlyweds. By the way, 9 weddings on the calendar this summer. Insanity. I got to catch up before we parted ways again. I watched my little sister graduate high school and went to her college orientation. I have to say, that no matter how much I like UT (that’s the texas one) burnt orange is not very pretty. Sorry. I have also seen some Vandy friends come through my hometown (shoutout to JonGarrettJeff road trip crew and Payne wedding attendees!)
Then there were the road trips! The Big Chicken got me to Memphis (for a wedding) and Nashville on one trip, and I must admit, I teared up a bit as that Batman building came into view. On another trip I visited Missouri to visit Lauren Law in St Louis and Andrew at Kamp. Yeah with a K. cuz Kanakuks are cool like that J There were also multiple trips to Dallas apartment hunting, and visiting etc. And somewhere between these trips and adventuring with friends around Texas, 5000 miles. What a ride. God bless books on tape.
As for now, I moved into my new apartment in my new city a few days ago and I am getting ready to start on my new life adventure. Orientation for dental school starts Aug 9th and I am ready to get going. I have no idea what to expect, just a rather intense week-long orientation schedule with various room numbers and “picnic games” included. Bring it.
I miss you all so much. May God continue leading you in all your pursuits! I love reading about them :)
Allie Button
No comments:
Post a Comment