Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Musings

Hey Friends! Just a quick update of my life here in Chicago:

-I will most likely be teaching 2nd grade, just like Courtney! I feel pretty good about this, after a long period of disbelief. I'd been preparing for preK so 2nd grade is a big switch but I'm excited to meet my scholars on Sept. 7th!

-I work for the BEST school ever. And I'm not just saying that because I like my co-workers and we got a grant for SmartBoards, but because our school last year produced transformational change in the lives of the scholars-- exceeding every academic goal set for them. In a community where most children enter 1st grade two grade levels behind, the majority of our scholars advanced a grade and a half in just one year. Check us out!! www.roweelementaryschool.org

-Tyler has been working about 110 hours a week. I knew this was coming but didn't really think it would be possible for an employer to demand that type of schedule. Turns out that this is his/my/our reality now...prayers would be appreciated for him in this time that he could maintain mental and physical strength, and maintain time for God throughout the week.

-Everything here is so expensive!! For real, everything costs like 25% more here than it did in Nashville. It's frustrating, especially given that I'm working off of a first-year teacher's salary!

-I turn 24 in less than a month. How did this happen!?

-I am so proud of all of you guys for the amazing steps of faith you have taken in pursuing the scary and challenging paths that the Lord has placed in front of you. It truly is inspiring to see how our paths have diverged and how much of an impact we're going to be making in our respective areas.

-I continue to miss you all like crazy, and I'm constantly nostalgic for the comfort of Vandy and your companionship. Know that you are in my heart and on my mind so often!!

No comments:

Post a Comment