It's been almost a month since we arrived to Kenya, and I can hardly believe that much time has gone by! In the last month I have:
started working at my job as a Volunteer Coordinator for ACTS Kenya
realized that being the only non-African in an office is an ADVENTURE
been assigned to create systems for EVERYTHING in the office because I am an efficient American
been working on my kenyan and south african accents
baked an obnoxious amount of bread
gotten addicted to African Coke (cane sugar, yes!)
NOT gotten addicted to Kenyan chai (whole milk, blech. Steph, you would love it)
gone back and forth and back and forth about getting a Kenyan puppy
gone on a weekend safari to Aberdare National Park
visited a rose farm where roses cost one cent
frozen my tush off in a very chilly Kenyan winter
not been able to breathe while running at 7,500 feet
cried because I live in Kenya
rejoiced because of the people I've met who are beautiful examples of how to love with your whole heart
been invited to be a bridesmaid in not one, but TWO Kenyan weddings (yes, I'll post pictures)
and read ALL of your posts!
Life here is (obviously) so different, but I'm continually encouraged that this is the place where I am supposed to be. And I don't think being in the midst of God's will is ever supposed to feel comfortable or uncomplicated. I can't even imagine being anywhere else in the world right now, and I'm so excited for the adventure that my life is!
My one piece of gleaned wisdom over the last month is the importance of thankfulness. In the moment when I want to grumble because we're having stew- again, in the moment that I wish I could be back in America and go to Target or Whole Foods, and in the moment that the sun is shining and I feel like just laying in the grass and smiling, I must thank my Creator. In the midst of it all He is faithful and His Spirit is with me. And currently I thank God for each of you, my wonderful friends who are able to make me smile an ocean away.
No comments:
Post a Comment